Date 2013-03-26 05:03:28 Location : North America
The School of Continuing & Professional Studies (SCPS) at Southern Utah University invites applications for a full time, benefited, English as a Second Language (ESL) Lecturer. This is a non-tenure track, 11 month contract teaching position without scholarly responsibilities of research or required service. Desired start date is July 1, 2013.
* Teach a variety of courses in our ESL program.
* Mentor fellow ESL faculty on teaching and learning theories and methodologies.
* Be a strong voice in the continual development and strengthening of our curriculum, especially in the areas of project-based learning and integration of technologies.
* Assist the program in seeking CEA accreditation.
* Work as a collegial and creative member of a team of qualified professionals.
* Maintain a high standard of professional development and interaction.
* Support the ESL director and academic coordinator in the continual growth of the program.
* Uphold program standards.
Additional Salary Information: Salary: $42,000; excellent benefits. (Please be sure you are comfortable with the stated salary if you decide to apply, as the salary is not negotiable.)
* Completed Masters in TESOL, Applied Linguistics, Language Pedagogy, or closely related field.
* Demonstrated ability to effectively and creatively teach a variety of ESL courses.
* Ability and willingness to mentor students of various backgrounds.
* Evidence of a high degree of fluency and accuracy in all aspects of spoken and written English.
* Highly collegial in behavior toward all students, all SUU employees, and the local community.
* Ability/willingness to complement the current strengths of the department through continual professional development.
* Graduate-level methods coursework which indicates a clear area of specialization.
* In accordance with Utah State Code 53A-3-410, appointment to this position is contingent upon the successful passing of a background check..
* Acumen with pedagogy and practice of educational technologies such as tablet computers (iPad), smart board, language acquisition software, and so forth.
* Understanding of and experience with experiential and/or project-based learning.
* Understanding of and experience with computer-assisted language learning.
* Course development experience.
Applicants need to apply online at http://jobs.suu.edu or use the direct link at http:// jobs.suu.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=51864 and click on Apply for this posting.
Individuals are asked to attach, electronically, the following required documents: cover letter (one-page document addressing your qualifications and other information you deem relevant to the position), resume/CV, list of contact information for references, (Names, phone numbers, and email addresses of three professional references familiar with your work in ESL), statement of teaching philosophy (one-page document), copies of unofficial transcripts, teaching portfolio (should contain three sample lessons: one demonstrating use of ICTs in the classroom; one demonstrating use of the principles of project-based learning; and one of your choice). Although listed as "Optional", copies of your unofficial transcripts and the portfolio are required by the search committee in order for your application materials to be given full consideration.
First consideration of applications will begin April 12, 2013. The position is open until filled. If you have questions or problems with the application process, please contact the Human Resources Office at email@example.com or 435-586-7754.
Southern Utah University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.