Seeking Seasonal ESL Teachers-Activity Leaders
Date 2013-06-09 06:06:54 Location : North America
Seeking Seasonal ESL Teachers/Activity Leaders - New York, NY; Boston, MA; New Haven, CT; San Francisco, CA & Los Angeles, CA
Ardmore Language Schools are experts in providing educational travel courses to students from all over the world. With over 25 years of experience, we are dedicated to delivering the highest quality courses including language, cultural and specialist sports programs in our residential centers.
The ESL Teacher/ Activity Leader (ESL/AL) has the dual responsibility of doing the preparation, co-ordination and teaching of English as part of the academic program and is also expected to (depending on the demand of the center), participate in and supervise activities and excursions during morning, afternoon and evening sessions.
Please note this is a residential and seasonal position only. We require our staff to live on campus throughout the summer. We are hiring for this position in the following locations: New York area, Boston, San Francisco bay area, Los Angeles and New Haven.
Teaching and Academic:
* To teach from 15 up to 30 hours per week (depending on the demands of the center)
* Arrive punctually for classes (i.e. before the lesson begins)
* To assist the HT with student testing and placement
* To teach English to a high standard following the syllabus set out in the Ardmore Language Schools'' workbooks and academic programme
* All teaching materials and lesson plans are provided for teachers, therefore preparation time is not expected to be too onerous
* To prepare and deliver lessons with the aim of achieving the objectives and outcomes of the Ardmore Language Schools'' syllabus
* To use teaching techniques that are appropriate to the level and needs of the students making every effort to create a positive learning environment enabling students to participate purposefully in the lessons
* To make lessons stimulating and enjoyable with particular emphasis on the practical use of the English language (e.g. speaking and listening skills)
* To administer and mark course assessments tasks as well as marking placement and exit tests
* To maintain excellent class administration including lesson preparation, class registration and monitoring student progress
* To advise the HT of any student who is misbehaving in class, absent from lessons; or any student welfare concerns (e.g. bullying, students who are withdrawn, not joining in) with particular attention to individual students
* To ensure that, in the lesson prior to an excursion, students are prepared and informed about their forthcoming excursion (e.g. class discussion, hand outs etc.)
* To complete individual student Progress Reports and issue final Certificates to students
To be willing to share best practice with colleagues
Activities and Excursions ( if teaching morning only):
* To participate in, lead, and supervise activities during afternoon and evening sessions as directed by the Activities Manager
* To organize and supervise excursions.
* To attend all excursion, activity and staff meetings
* To maintain appropriate levels of student discipline, safety and welfare during activities and excursions.
* To conduct head counts on a constant basis during excursions to ensure all students are accounted for and to allocate meeting points for the students after periods of free time
* Applicants holding specialist qualifications will be required to undertake duties such as pool duties / sports coaching and first aid provision
* To carry out residential duties on a rota basis, including meal supervision, lights out duties, room checks and additional duties as required
* To ensure that individual students are integrated with other students in activities and on excursions
All staff should show respect for the opinions and feelings of students, Foreign Group Leaders and colleagues no matter what their religion, race, age background, gender or sexual orientation.
QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
* CELTA or Trinity TESOL or Masters in Education
* Aged 20 or over
* Eligible to live and work in the US
* Mother tongue English speaker
* Experience of teaching students 12-17 years old
* Excellent communication skills
* Flexibility and adaptability
* Ability and desire to work as part of a team
Please apply by submitting your resume via email to Kristina Histen.
Welcome to ESL Job Feed. We offer the most varied listing of teaching jobs worldwide and resources for teachers seeking opportunities for teaching English worldwide and teachers working in other countries. Please browse our website and enjoy the many resources available to assist you in your job search for positions teaching English as a Second Language.
We publish links to job postings for teaching jobs worldwide from a wide variety of sources to allow teachers to conduct their job search all in one place. You can find postings from TESall, Total ESL, Monster, Idealist.org, TESOL.org and many other job sites. There are listings for everything from beginning teachers to positions in universities around the world.
In addition to our extensive listings of teaching jobs worldwide, we offer many other resources for teachers and opportunities to connect with schools, students and other professionals. You can post your resume for employers to see, advertise tutoring services, and find lesson plan ideas for teaching English and much more. Browse our website to see the wide variety of resources available to help you find a position and be successful teaching English worldwide.
Our forum for teachers is a great place to connect with other ESL professionals. Whether you are wondering about certification and qualifications required for teaching English worldwide or want to read the experiences of other teachers working teaching English as a Second Language, you can find it in our forums. There is no cost to join into the discussion, so start posting today.