ESL Job Feed is the most eclectic and broad source of ESL jobs and teaching positions available worldwide.?ESL Job Feed publishes links to ESL Job postings from a variety of sources including TESall, Total ESL, Yahoo!/Monster, Guardian Jobs, Chronicle of Higher Education, craigslist, TESOL Org, TEFL and many more. From conversation schools for beginners to university positions for teaching veterans,?ESL Job Feed is your source for English teaching positions worldwide.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE LECTURER
Date 2014-03-23 09:03:19 Location : Asia:China
School of International Education / School of Foreign Studies
Henan University of Urban Construction (HUUC) is a public institution of higher and further education located in Pingdingshan, in central China's Henan province. HUUC was founded in 1983 and was given independent degree awarding powers in 2002.
Since becoming a university, HUUC has expanded the range of its academic portfolio and now offers a range of degrees in business, law, art and English in addition to its core programs in the fields of urban construction, civil engineering and architectural engineering. Over recent years, HUUC has become increasingly important to the local and provincial economy; supplying graduates who have much needed skills and knowledge.
During the coming year, the School of Foreign Studies at HUUC will introduce a second undergraduate degree program, a bachelor’s in Translation Studies, to complement its existing programs. HUUC will also become one of less than ten percent of universities in China which assesses spoken language as part of the TEM4 examination.
Due to the addition of a new degree program in Translation Studies and ongoing expansion of international partnerships, the School of International Education, in conjunction with the School of Foreign Studies, currently has three vacancies for English language teachers. These contracts will commence in September 2014 and will initially last for one year.
These roles will involve teaching a mixed portfolio of courses, primarily to first and second year English major students. In addition to spoken English and basic phonetics, teachers may be required to deliver courses in reading or Western culture and history. Teachers will be expected to deliver sixteen classroom hours per week. Some paid overtime may be available, but this remains optional.
Textbooks will be supplied for each course and teachers are expected to complete course and lesson outlines for the material which they are going to deliver. Formative and summative assessment must also be carried out in line with the university's regulations.
Summary of duties:
• 14-16 classroom hours per week across two 19-20 week semesters.
• Subjects taught: Spoken English; Extensive Reading; Western Culture & History; English for Tourism.
• Management of course and lesson outlines.
• Grading students and monitoring attendance.
• A monthly salary of 5000 to 6000 RMB (depending on qualifications and experience and classroom hours).
• A travel allowance of 2200 RMB paid on completion of the contract.
• Flight reimbursement up to the value of 8000 RMB.
• Accommodation in a furnished private apartment on campus (rent free and utilities included).
• Teachers have free access to the internet in the private apartment.
• Four weeks holiday during the “Spring Festival” period (January/February) and six to eight weeks during the summer.
• Teachers are supplied with insurance from Ping’an Insurance Corporation.
• Teachers are also entitled to all holidays normally observed within China.
Teachers are also welcome to make use of a fully equipped heated and air conditioned office provided for international staff located within the School of International Education: photocopying and printing are supplied.
This role would suit an enthusiastic graduate who wants to develop their teaching experience in a challenging but rewarding environment. Successful applicants will have a good academic background and be confident enough to work independently and manage a classroom. A proactive attitude and a willingness to meet the challenge of living and working overseas is also essential.
Summary of qualification, experience and skills:
• A bachelor's degree, with a grade of 2:2 or above. Preference will be given to graduates of Linguistics, English Language or Literature, History, Education or other subjects within the field of Arts and Social Sciences.
• A TEFL certificate is not essential but would be beneficial.
• At least one year's work experience in an education or arts-related field.
• Demonstrable ability to work independently in an organized manner.
• Professional demeanor – successful candidates will be a highly visible part of a campus community.
Successful applicants will be provided with a working visa, which will enable them to work and live in China legally for the duration of the contract. There are a number of requirements attached to this visa, these are stipulated by the State Administration for Foreign Experts and China's Entry/Exit Service.
In addition to the qualifications noted above, candidates must also be:
• Citizens of a country in which English is a native language.
• Between the ages of 25 and 60.
• Physically sound; capable of passing a basic medical inspection.
How to Apply:
Please send you full CV and a covering letter (or formal email) stating why you are interested in teaching at HUUC to the address noted below. Applicants who meet the requirements will be placed on a rolling shortlist and interviewed by phone or Skype.
Should you have any questions about this job, the required qualifications, or what it is like to live and work in China then please get in touch. Contact details of current teachers can be supplied.