ESL Job Feed is the most eclectic and broad source of ESL jobs and teaching positions available worldwide.?ESL Job Feed publishes links to ESL Job postings from a variety of sources including TESall, Total ESL, Yahoo!/Monster, Guardian Jobs, Chronicle of Higher Education, craigslist, TESOL Org, TEFL and many more. From conversation schools for beginners to university positions for teaching veterans,?ESL Job Feed is your source for English teaching positions worldwide.
English as a Second Language Instructor
Date 2015-01-27 08:01:37 Location : North America
ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE INSTRUCTOR
Opening Date/Time: Fri. 12/19/14 12:00 AM Pacific Time
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $59,063.00 - $83,077.00 Annually
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: SRJC Santa Rosa Campus: 1501 Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa, California
Department: English as a Second Language
PRIORITY FILING DEADLINE: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 (initial screening date; open until filled)
It is the candidate's responsibility to be sure that ALL required materials are submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the priority filing deadline to be given priority consideration. Applications received after the priority filing deadline will be considered only if the initial priority screening is unsuccessful.
Santa Rosa Junior College is seeking an individual with demonstrated instructional skills to join an outstanding team of faculty and instructional administrators to provide high quality programs and services to our district, our community, and most importantly, our students. This is a full-time, regular contract position in the English as a Second Language Department at Santa Rosa Junior College, beginning Fall Semester, August 2015. Appointments are contingent upon funding and Board approval.
The English as a Second Language Department at Santa Rosa Junior College offers a full range of ESL coursework and programs. We serve over 2,000 ESL students with a wide variety of personal, vocational, and academic goals. We also provide extensive community-based classes, including family literacy programs, civics-based education and traditional ESL classes. Our goal is for students to access campus/community programs and services and to assist students, both on and off-campus, to realize their aspirations.
The ESL position requires the candidate to teach in all areas of ESL (writing, reading, grammar, and oral communication) and to utilize technology. Additionally, the department is especially interested in hiring someone with the knowledge and experience needed to teach advanced reading and writing. The department is also interested in hiring a candidate with good organizational and leadership skills who can eventually serve as department chair, rotating with other regular ESL instructors.
SRJC offers courses at two campuses, located in Santa Rosa and Petaluma, as well as multiple satellite locations within the district, including on-line. While this assignment is for the Santa Rosa campus, please note the district reserves the right of assignment to any location, and that assignments could involve any combination of day or evening classes with weekly office hours being mandatory. Instructors assume responsibility for maintaining currency in the field, for updating existing courses and developing new curricula (including courses that serve community needs, such as short, non-credit, or online courses), assisting in the assessment of student learning outcomes, participating in department activities and other college service such as committee work, managing laboratories, and participating in community outreach on behalf of the college.
Master’s degree in TESL, TESOL, Applied Linguistics with a TESL emphasis, Linguistics with a TESL emphasis, English with a TESL emphasis, or Education with a TESL emphasis; OR Bachelor’s degree in TESL, TESOL, English with a TESL certificate, Linguistics with a TESL certificate, Applied Linguistics with a TESL certificate, or any foreign language with a TESL certificate AND Master’s degree in Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, English, Composition, Bilingual/Bicultural Studies, Reading, Speech, or any foreign language; OR the equivalent; OR possession of a full satisfied (Life) California Community College Instructor’s Credential in Basic Education. Requires a sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
If you do not possess the minimum qualifications exactly as stated above, you must file for equivalency. If claiming equivalency, applicants are responsible for documenting all course work, degree programs and related professional experience at time of application.
• Recent ESL teaching experience at the community college or university level
• Knowledge of current ESL methodology (especially content-based instruction and computer-based learning)
• Ability and interest in teaching advanced reading and writing and in collaborating with English Department colleagues
• Knowledge of best practices and innovative pedagogies such as learning communities and collaborative learning
• Organizational and leadership skills
• Experience in a non-English speaking environment
• Familiarity with state-level policy issues affecting ESL
To view the full job description, visit: http://www.santarosa.edu/hr/current-openings/
In order to be given priority consideration for this recruitment, applicants must submit the following documents by the priority filing deadline:
• A completed Santa Rosa Junior College Employment Application and responses to Agency-wide Questions. Please note that contact information is required for a minimum of three references.
• If you do not meet the minimum qualifications exactly as stated, you must complete and attach the Equivalency Application to your Employment Application. If applicable, Equivalency Application is available at http://www.santarosa.edu/hr/forms-linked/Application%20Materials/FacEquivApp.pdf.
• A cover letter explaining your interest in the position, including how you meet the requirements and are qualified to perform the duties as listed in the “Position Description” section of this announcement.
• Current Resume.
• Copies of transcripts of all college level course work. Unofficial copies (both sides) are acceptable, but official transcripts must be submitted prior to hiring. If transcripts are from an institution outside of the United States, applicants must provide a formal evaluation of their foreign degree(s) at the time of application. Contact the Human Resources Department for more information.
• If applicable, copy of fully satisfied (Life) California Community College Instructor’s Credential (both sides).
• Three current letters of reference. Copy of your college placement file may be submitted, provided that it contains the above references.
• If applicable, copy of TESL Certificate (Note: TESL Certificate must be earned from an accredited institution.)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
• Salary Range: $59,063 - $83,077 per year (2014/15 Faculty Salary Schedule); teaching experience, other related professional experience, and academic degrees determine salary placement on a schedule that is competitive with other California Community Colleges.
• Fringe benefits: The District offers a competitive benefit package which includes health & welfare (medical/dental/vision/life/long-term disability) benefits for employees and eligible dependents.
• Housing Assistance: Reduced fees for mortgage loans and real estate services may be available to the candidate selected for this position (contact Human Resources for more information).
Our vision, mission statement, and values can be viewed at www.santarosa.edu/polman/1mission/1.1.pdf.
MORE ABOUT SRJC HUMAN RESOURCES
PHYSICAL ADDRESS: 1988 Armory Drive
MAILING ADDRESS: 1501 Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa, CA 95401
PHONE: (707) 527-4954
FAX: (707) 527-4967
- See more at: http://careers.tesol.org/jobs/6803104/english-as-a-second-language-instructor#sthash.dyGFq7ch.dpuf