Teach in Thailand

ESL Job Feed is the most eclectic and broad source of ESL jobs and teaching positions available worldwide.?ESL Job Feed publishes links to ESL Job postings from a variety of sources including TESall, Total ESL, Yahoo!/Monster, Guardian Jobs, Chronicle of Higher Education, craigslist, TESOL Org, TEFL and many more. From conversation schools for beginners to university positions for teaching veterans,?ESL Job Feed is your source for English teaching positions worldwide.

  • Re: winter camp teaching in Korea

    By: Admin < Show E-mail >

    Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010

    Location: Korea (Asia)

    I would suggest you post on some resume boards offering your services as "Winter Camp Teacher for Korea" so they can contact you. There may not be many positions posted just yet because it is a bit early to begin recruiting for winter camps which usually take place in December/January.

    Regardless, keep checking the jobs boards because they will start to appear.

    The following is from Transitions Abroad which is some good advice regarding short-term visas for Korea camp teachers:

    Short-Term Visa (Camps Only C-4)

    It is important to understand the rules of the visa. Unfortunately, it seems they are always changing. Each embassy has its own way of doing things. I was in Korea this winter and got my visa at the Korean Embassy here in Bangkok. I phoned up to find out exactly what paperwork I needed to get my visa and was told by the very friendly lady that I needed my original diploma, paperwork from my prospective employer, and the equivalent of $40. I had heard that we also needed original transcripts took them just in case. I arrived at the embassy and noticed first that the guy in front of me was being denied his visa because he didn’t have original transcripts with him. He too had phoned and even come by a month earlier just to “make sure” only to be denied his visa at the last moment. Another friend from Ireland got his visa in the same office and was sent to the Irish Embassy to get his diploma stamped which meant authenticated for the whopping fee of 50 pounds plus the additional visa processing fee. I did my best to smile and put my paperwork in order and hoped for the best. The nice lady processed my paperwork and said in a whisper, “Next time make sure these are sealed” and pointed to my opened transcripts. At the same time the unfortunate guy who had gone before me was trying to get the supervisor on the phone to plead his case. As he was screaming and cursing I am fairly certain that he was denied his visa. It never pays to yell at someone who could help you if they wanted to. Also, yelling at a Korean is never going to get you what you want. Smiling and asking nicely and even letting them give you a good talking to for something or another and apologizing is a far better course of action and more likely to get you what you need.

    For camps you will need an E-2 visa. Once you have all the required paperwork you can pop into the embassy or consulate nearest you and should have your visa in three business days. The only problem is these camps they are notorious procrastinators and you may well find your self begging at the embassy door trying to explain that you just got the documents and that you have already purchased your airline ticket. My best advice is start looking for the camp jobs early, and after you get one you think looks good bug the crap out of them to get you the paperwork. It may work. I have been very pesky in the past and still did not get the paperwork till Christmas Day and spent the entire day in the embassy. They don’t celebrate Christmas in Japan so for them it was just another day.

    You will have to pay the cost of the visa yourself and it varies by country but usually runs about $30 to $50. You can request up to 90 days, but depending on the mood of the person issuing your visa you may get exactly what you need or a bit more. Always ask for 90 and see what you get. In the past if your visa was long enough you could fit in two camps (usually just summer because the school break is longer) but it has all gotten a bit sticky in the past year. It all depends on if they write the name of your camp on the visa you receive. For example, at the Tokyo consulate they always do this but in Osaka they do not. You can work more than one camp if your visa is from Osaka and not Tokyo. Unless of course this changes. Again, each embassy/consulate does it differently. There is no actual information in black and white about this. Some people have had to fly to Japan at their own expense because their visa had the camp name on it. Immigration is tough on these camps as they are usually run by private organizations and are seen to be elitist, as only rich kids get the chance to attend them. They have been known to “raid” the camps, and if the paperwork is not in order some poor souls have been ordered to leave the country and the camp can be fined heavily


    To Edit or Delete this posting:

    Edit Delete